by His good grace...

Colossians 3:17

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Moving Forward

I woke up around nine. I waited over an hour for sleep last night and it was still 3 am the last time I looked at my watch. I knew this was a day for studies. I moved around the room, cleaning up and preparing for my day. Brooke came in and we talked about our strange Friday. Friday didn't go according to either of our plans. She was stuck inside writing a paper all day and I was in lab dissecting a frog. We had brunch together and I left for a coffee shop as she went to work.

I biked in the refreshing coolness still lingering from the night. I hoped I would see someone I knew at Stony Creek. I walked into the small shop and glanced at the tables. Only two out of the five tables were occupied and I didn't recognize anyone. There were people in line so I searched for the perfect study table to drop my things off. I walked towards the back door and glanced outside. There were seven tables outside overlooking the creek, and one of them was occupied by a young couple deep in discussion. Oh well, I probably couldn't study with a cool breeze anyway. I turned away and headed for the third table.
"Grace! What are you doing here?"
"Tory! I didn't see you! How are you doing?"
"Good, good. This is my friend Clarise. You two would get along well. She is sarcastic like you are, but you aren't overbearingly sarcastic and neither is she."
Thanks, I think...
I smiled at Bethany and took a seat at the small table and chatted with them as we discussed grad schools.
"I'm trying to get my MFA, it means I won't ever get my Doctorate, but that's okay I guess." said Tory.
"You know Tory, you were my idol when I first came here. I was in awe of you because you were a voice on my favorite radio show." I told her honestly.
Tory laughed and shook her head.
"Well thanks Grace. I'm surprised that you even listed to DGL. Oh, my phone is ringing. Let's see." Tory opened her phone, "Sister! How are you?"
I used this as an opportunity to grab some coffee. I felt like coffee was something I would enjoy eventually. My last attempt was a Mocha that left me throwing up in the bathroom at church. Today I would try a straight up Americano. I could gauge my tolerance for coffee separate from sugar. I sipped it and sat back with the girls. Tory had finished up her conversation and smiled when she noticed my coffee.
"What kind did you get?"
"An Americano."
"Don't you remember? We decided a latte would be better for you. That is too strong for a non-coffee drinker. Go add some milk and sugar."
I took a sniff of my coffee. It was rather strong. I wrinkled my nose at the repugnant odor and walked towards the cream counter as Tory explained to Clarise the failures of my java experience. I added half and half and a little bit of honey. I took a sip and actually liked it.
The girls played cards while I read my Intro to Lit book Worlds Fall Apart. Tory had to go meet her sister but she offered her house to me. I hesitated, but could see no point in waiting around in a coffee shop for nothing to happen. Her house was right across the street and had a very comfortable couch.
She and Bethany have been gone almost an hour now. After four chapters of Achebe, I am ready for Anatomy and Physiology. I am still listening to Jill Phillips and fighting grogginess. The caffeine did nothing for me. I hate coffee.

No comments:


About Me

My photo
I want to know God. I want to desire Him more than anything or anyone.

Spring 2009 Classes

  • Abnormal Psychology
  • History and Systems
  • Learning and Cognition
  • Physiological Psychology
  • Research Methods
  • Structure and Function II
Powered By Blogger